No, Not yet at least similar to sub ledger accounting as introduced in R12..lets hope this must be in future ..:)
Why Reporting is Must in ERP?
The more important is to understand the objective of an accounting system is to summarize transactional data into useful management reports that management can use to manage the business. Hence need for Reporting can't be denied in any ERP accounting system. In oracle application also there are different ways to fulfill reporting requirement.
If we consider EBS as a transparent box, we can see there are number of reporting options available.The need can be changing time to time and business with cases. Typical reporting options can be best described as:
The reporting need can be classified as
- Financial Reporting
- Transactional Reporting
- Ad Hoc Reporting
These reporting does have there own limitation and uniqueness thus , on the top of technology it is important to understand when and where it is required.Broadly such reporting requirement can be categorize into:
- Oracle seeded reports
- End User Reports
Let's take some of reporting options in Oracle application:
- XML Publisher: Since last couple of years, this become very popular reporting tool, and also learn to know that Oracle is pushing most of the reporting requirement into XML Publisher . The reason of having popular tool is because it is final outcome is integrated with office productive tool like word and excel, which fits for all kind of user without having much knowledge of technology. We can use XML Publisher to save reports to many different file types including XML, PDF, RTF, and Excel and to publish reports by printing, sending in an e-mail, or posting to web sites or portals. XML Publisher can be applied to both reports and documents.
- ADI Reports: This is one of most useful tool by the end user with the use of office productive tool like Excel. This provides support for creating and summarizing both input and output data in two-dimensional spreadsheets for further analysis.
- RXi Reports : This enable us to design the content and layout of your RXi reports. You can print the same report using different layouts, and you can control the data items included in your report. RXi lets you tailor your reports to meet statutory and other reporting requirements, and to create reports for your own internal use.
- SQL Extracts: This can used for adhoc basis. Your staff can create and run SQL extracts to obtain additional information from the database.
- Oracle Discoverer
Oracle Discoverer is an intuitive tool for creating reports and performing on-line analysis . Users uses the EUL (End User Layer), a metadata definition can access and analyze data in a company's database without having to understand difficult database concepts. Users can also view workbooks and integrate database output onto a web site and portal that can be easily customized to conform to a particular web site look and feel, or to build custom Discoverer applications for the web.
- Oracle Portal
You can use Oracle Portal to create a portal Web interface, publish and manage information, access dynamic data, and customize the portal experience. You can design enterprise portals that are the single entry point to business applications, content,
collaborative tools, and Web sites.
- FSG (Financial Statement Generator) Reports
FSG is an inbuilt reporting tool in the General Ledger module using which a functional user can create reports from the front end. It extracts the General ledger balances of the account code combinations and displays the same as an output for the reports defined in FSG. Thus the functionality of FSG is restricted to the General Ledger module.
- Report Manager
Report Manager is a secure point-in-time report repository offering centralized management and distribution of reports.
Main Benefits can be summarized as:
- Access business information from a central site using a standard browser
- Ensure that reports are protected from unauthorized access
- Store and distribute any type of report or file
- Preview reports prior to mass distribution
These above are oracle inbuilt as well as oracle technology based reporting Options.The more important is that the use of above does not cost you any additional cost for licensee fee. Apart from this , there are also some third party tools can be used for reporting purpose. I have seen number of other tools used by various clients, would walk through some of them, in next post.