|Have you tried OracleappsHub in ipad/iphone/smart Phone? Don't wait. try it today|
Oracle with Endeca plans to create a comprehensive technology platform to process, store, manage, search and analyze structured and unstructured information together enabling businesses to make stronger and more profitable decisions.
Therefore, Oracle Endeca Information Discovery (Formerly Endeca Latitude) is an enterprise data discovery platform for rapid, intuitive exploration and analysis of data from any combination of structured and unstructured sources.
Oracle Endeca Information Discovery enables organizations to extend their existing business analytics investments to unstructured sources – including social media, websites, content systems, email, and
database text - providing unprecedented visibility into data and business processes, saving time and cost, and leading to better business decisions.
With Oracle Endeca Information Discovery, users can:
- Easily combine structured and unstructured data and metadata to understand key metrics in their relevant context and evaluate new business situations.
- Ask unanticipated questions of any data through intuitive, flexible, and highly interactive online discovery applications.
- Mash up and recombine data and visualizations to compose discovery applications.
- Leverage all of the rich metadata of existing Business Intelligence data models and semantic layers as a basis upon which to build discovery applications.
- Unburden IT from the constant chasing of new requirements and non-traditional data sources for incorporation into the data warehouse, enabling them to deliver fast access to relevant data and selfservice to business users while maintaining security, governance, and quality.
The Architecture for Oracle Endeca Information Discovery
Let’s start by briefly reviewing the Endeca Information Discovery architecture. The architecture consists of 3 main components:
- Oracle Endeca Server. This hybrid, search/analytical database provides unprecedented flexibility in combining diverse and changing data as well as extreme performance in analyzing that data. Oracle Endeca Server has the performance characteristics of in-memory architecture however is not memory bound. Oracle Endeca Server is also used extensively as an interactive search engine on many major e-commerce and media websites.
- Studio is a Discovery application composition environment for the Oracle Endeca Server. Studio provides drag and drop authoring to create highly interactive, visually-rich, enterprise- class information discovery applications.
- Integration Suite. Oracle Endeca Information Discovery includes a set of tools used for loading and optionally enriching diverse information—including structured and unstructured content—into Oracle Endeca Server.
This can be best understood as fig 1 below:
Apart from this there are Extensible Value-Added Modules are
- Oracle Endeca Content Management System Connectors- This add-on module allows for integration of content stored in various enterprise content management systems.This is currently supported systems include: EMC Documentum, EMC Documentum eRoom, FileNet P8, FileNet Document & Image Services, Interwoven TeamSite, Lotus Notes/Domino, Microsoft SharePoint, and OpenText LiveLink.
- Oracle Endeca Text Enrichment. This add-on module includes text analysis capabilities for extraction of people, places, organizations, quotes, and themes as well as core summarization capabilities for automatic creation of abstracts or topical summaries.
- Oracle Endeca Text Enrichment with Sentiment Analysis. This add-on module includes all of the Text Enrichment capabilities as well as advanced text analysis for extraction of aggregate sentiment related to each extracted concept. Sentiment is extracted with a score indicating the positive and negative nature of a document or an entity in the document. These scores can be used within the faceted search experience by varying ranges of
positivity and negativity.
What type of analysis is Oracle Endeca Information Discovery designed for?
Oracle Endeca Information Discovery is in supporting a users’ need to better understand the data. In expanding analysis inputs beyond structured content to unstructured sources, users can better understand the color and qualitative insights which support quantitative results.
Oracle Endeca Information Discovery enables this type of analysis through Oracle Endeca Server, a hybrid search/analytical database that is specifically optimized for discovery, not reporting or online transaction processing.
Highly scalable, column-oriented, and in-memory - without being memory bound - Oracle Endeca Server supports navigation, search, and analysis of any kind of information including structured, semi-structured, and unstructured content.
This also provide a broad suite of packaged analytic applications to extend corporate business processes to include unstructured data
- Integrate unstructured data into ERP, Supply Chain, Human Capital, CRM and EPM applications
- Integrate unstructured data into specialized edge applications – PLM, MDM, Web Commerce, Analytic applications
- Extend industry specific business processes and vertical applications to include unstructured data
Search capabilities of Oracle Endeca Information Discovery provide
Oracle Endeca Information Discovery provides two different, and complementary, types of search:
- Value – or dimension – search provides type-ahead autocompletion that enables users to find attribute values and help disambiguate queries by identifying which attributes contain the search terms.
- Record search provides advanced full text search across any single or combination of fields, leveraging a variety of configurable term matching and relevancy ranking algorithms to retrieve results for display and analysis.
Know the facts and dependecy with other Prducts
- Oracle Endeca Information Discovery part of Not of Oracle BI Foundation Suite, this is a separate licensed product.
- If you don’t run Oracle BI. You can still benefit from Oracle Endeca Information Discovery, beacuse the diversity of supported data sources is a strength of this product.
- Oracle Endeca Server exposes web services for querying existing BI tools.
- Oracle Endeca Information Discovery enhances existing business intelligence applications by extending analysis to unstructured sources and supporting exploratory data analysis.
- Oracle Endeca Information Discovery is certified on Exalytics.
- Oracle Endeca Information Discovery’s primary benefit with respect to Big Data (Read the previous post on Big data) is in solving the problem of Big Variety – relevant data sources for business analysis have never been more diverse, and an increasing share of this information is unstructured.
- Oracle Endeca Information Discovery and Hadoop are highly complementary technologies
Resources for Oracle Endeca Information Discovery (OEID)