|Have you tried OracleappsHub in ipad/iphone/smart Phone? Don't wait. try it today|
Typically, the traditional tracking methods provides different levels of change information for data and these are the how how developers typically doing CDC Requirement:
- Trigger based tracking
- Time stamp columns
- Join queries
- Additional table to track deletes
What is CDC
Change Data Capture (CDC) is an innovative integration technology, which is based on the identification, capture, and delivery of only the changes made to enterprise data sources.
Who need CDC
- BI , because of Increasing demand for up-to-date/real-time data
- Increasing data volumes
- Shrinking batch windows
- Demand for event driven processing
- Reduce cost may be you can say saving in processing large amounts of data
Where to use
- Data Warehousing & ETL/ELT
- Operational Reporting and Data Integration
- Data Replication, Propagation
- Synchronization of Data and Applications
- Master Data Management (MDM)
- Legacy Modernization & Migration
If you are working in Oracle Technology space , then some of event-driven Processing like ESB (OSB), BPEL, CEP, BAM
What industries need CDC?
CDC need is across the industry. That means this fits any industry. Typical example such as:
- If you are in Financial Services the best example would be having efficient BI which may be event detection
- In Manufacturing Typical example can be a real-time synchronization
- In Retail similar to Financial CDC need must be to provide real-time BI for marketing
- Govt and Public Sector mostly for efficient DW/BI
Therefore understand CDC requirement in ETL in next section.
CDC for ELT
CDC typically provide up-to-date data for data warehouses, ODS, reporting databases, etc.
How this works:
CDC detects new, updated and deleted records
- When ODI processes are invoked they can be restricted to these records. Less data to process.
- Allows to run the ODI processes much more often
- Removes “batch-window” processing
- Real/Right-time data warehousing
Major benefits with use of CDC in ETL would be:
- First is Efficiency
- Next would be Low latency/Real-Time Integration
- Lower cost
- The most important it's Event driven architecture
Therefore because of number of data acquisition methods, including Change Data Capture, its important now a day for become important for organizations to deal with greater diversity in their data architectures.