If you are technical consultant and working on Oracle Applications Upgrade projects (for any version >11.5.8 to 12.1.x) and have a large number of customized DB objects and reports (Tables, Views, Packages, ...etc), the biggest dilemma for you how and where to start. You know there lot many things changed conceptually but you are not really sure how DB objects changes in these latest and greatest version of your application affect your CEMLI's. Untill last last month, this was a really a lacking area but recently Oracle has documented(Note id: 1290886.1) all the table changes and published them via MySupport aka Metalink.
EBS Data Model Comparison Tool
This tool is in form of Report , which provides the database object definition changes between two EBS releases to help to preview the database object definition changes before upgrading their instances from one release to another and understand the impact of the database object changes that may affect the customization or business flows.
What is in Coverage
All DB Objects are covered in this report as..
- Regular tables ( also Partitioned tables, Global Temp Table, Queued Tables)
- Materialized views & Logs
Oracle Version for Report output
Untill this post, this report is being used for these Oracle Version.
- Release 11.5.9 to Release 12.1.3
- Release 220.127.116.11 to Release 12.1.3
- Release 12.0.4 to Release 12.1.3
- Release 12.0.6 to Release 12.1.3
- Release 12.1.1 to Release 12.1.3
- Release 12.1.2 to Release 12.1.3
Before start for tool usage
- You should know both(source and target) the version for Oracle EBS in order to get maximum benifit of the reports.
- List out all your application module where you would like to see the changes.
Steps for usage
- Download respective zip from metalink , presume you know your existing application and target application version.
- unzip the file into local directory.Open the file "DataModelComparisonReport.html" in your browser .
- Select the Product from LOV for which you want to see .
Once you selected the product and navigate to the database object definition differences for each supported database object type which is displayed in the bottom frame. Uppar part of report will give you high level summary for all DB changes.
If you can the details for any changes go to details and find in details sections , here is one for Pacakage .
Thats means , if you take a pacakge AP_CANCEL_PKG , that means one Function and one procudure is added and 6 existing procudure is taken out if you are coming from 18.104.22.168 to 12.1.3
You should also note , there is one product appear as "MISC" in the product LOV, this exclusive for this reports nothing to deal with Oracle modules. All the products that exist in common schema is mapped with 'MISC' short code .
- Metalink Note 1290886.1 :EBS Data Model Comparison Report Overview
- Metalink Note 1104163.1 :Oracle E-Business Suite R12.1 Financials Pre-Upgrade, Setup, and Operational Tips
- Metalink Note 987516.1 :Planning Your Oracle E-Business Suite Upgrade from Release 11i to Release 12.1
- Metalink Note 889733.1: Upgrade Considerations by Product for Financials
- Metalink Note 747735.1 :Oracle Financials and Oracle Procurement: Functional Upgrade Guide: Release 11i to Release 12
Metalink Note 780989.1: Upgrade vs. Reimplementation for Financials