In one of previous post  , i have discussed the basics of interface ,conversion and migration.Lets take a more detailed life cycle for data conversion/migration activity. This activity can not be ignored in any Oracle ERP transformation project.
A conversion does follow there own methodology , being a typically methodology it consist of certain task and subtask identified at sub activity level . Here are some of them as discussed below.
1. Movement of Data or Transport of data
This is where you have to plan the movement of data from an external system/old system to Oracle Applications which normally consider within a conversion project plan. The more important is developing a detailed conversion plan for each entity, listing all design, development, testing, and conversion tasks. You have also include resource,software, and hardware requirements to successfully convert each entity.
This is where you have to decide what need to convert. This start with identifying all objects first there corresponding volume.
- Examine the business objectives and requirements to determine the data to be converted.
- Specify time constraints for the conversion, especially for transaction data.
- Determine the appropriate conversion method, it is not recommended to go for manual entry.If data volume is low , try to find alternate product.
- Then need is performing data mapping.
- Then its required to install all hardware and software required for the conversion process.
- Determine the testing requirements. Identify testing method if available in Oracle else design a custom query to compare the result.
This process does consist of :
- Writing extract and import programs.
- Scripts to create any interface or translation tables in Oracle RDBMS.
- Writing validation, translation, and migration programs.
- Write verification scripts and reports.
4. Performing Conversion
This is process in which major activity is performed, this consist of:
- Extract and format data.
- Create temporary interface tables.
- Upload data to interface tables.
- Run translation programs & validation programs.
- Migrate data into production tables.
- Run verification scripts.
- Run application reports to verify converted data.
5. Data Verification
In this phase each converted entity, design a conversion process from data extraction through data verification. Main consideration is business objectives and dependencies for each point in the process.