In EBS R12.2 installation now includes two editions (versions) of the application code and seed data.
The file system contains two complete copies of the Oracle E-Business Suite and technology files. In the database, we use the Edition-based Redefinition feature to create a new database edition for each online patching cycle.
The "Run Edition " is the code and data used by the running application. The Run Edition includes a complete application-tier file system along with all objects and data visible in the default edition of the database. As a developer, you will connect to the Run Edition whenever you are engaged in normal development activity on the system.
The "Patch Edition " is an alternate copy of Oracle E-Business Suite code and seed data that is updated by Online Patching. The Patch Edition includes a complete copy of the application-tier file system and editioned database code objects. The Patch Edition is only usable when an Online Patching session is in progress. End users cannot access the Oracle E-Business Suite Patch Edition, but as a developer you may need to connect to the Patch Edition of a system when applying patches or debugging problems with Online Patch execution.
IN RELEASE 12.2, YOU SHOULD USE ADSPLICE TO REGISTER YOUR APPLICATION IN ORDER TO ENSURE THAT THE APPLICATION IS SET UP FOR ONLINE PATCHING.
YOU ARE NOT ENCOURGED TO USE THE APPLICATIONS WINDOW TO REGISTER APPLICATIONS IN THIS RELEASE.
Oracle Documentation strongly recomends, When installing or upgrading to Release 12.2, do not run adsplice until you have applied the 12.2.2 Release Update Pack. The execustion of adsplice before your instance is at the 12.2.2 code level may cause file synchronization issues.
TO CREATE A CUSTOM APPLICATION USING ADSPLICE
- Download Patch 3636980 "Support Diagnostics (IZU) patch for AD Splice"
- Peform Pre-requisite steps
- Manually copy the three .txt files from the 3636980\izu\admin directory to your own temporary directory.
- Rename izuprod.txt to <CUSTOM MODULE>prod.txt. In this example, we will be using "xxshprod.txt".
- Rename izterr.txt to <CUSTOM MODULE>terr.txt. In this example, we will be using "xxshterr.txt".
- Open newprods.txt in a text editor.
- Change all references of "izu" to <custom module> and all references of "IZU" to <CUSTOM MODULE>
- In this example, we will be changing references of "izu" to be "xxsh" and "IZU" to be "XXSH".
- Change all references of "izu" to <custom module> and all references of "IZU" to <CUSTOM MODULE> (keeping the case sensitivity).
- Change all references to prodid 278 to your own unique number.
- Run adsplice -adsplice must be run from the admin directory under APPL_TOP, and is invoked by running the adsplice command.
In Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12.2, adsplice performs the following steps:
- Makes the new user edition-enabled.
- Enables Edition-Based Redefinition (EBR) for the custom objects.
All these changes will be synchronized between the “PATCH” and “RUN” file systems once the next Online Patching cycle is initiated .
If you upgraded your environment from an earlier release to Release 12.2, then you should run adsplice for your custom application again after the upgrade, using the same application ID and application name as when you originally added your custom application.
Running the Release 12.2 version of adsplice after the upgrade helps ensure that the custom top folder for your application will be included when the two file systems are synchronized during online patching.
special attention needed if you have Java specfic customization, in that case you need few more patched to apply.
Next you have to Verify Creation of Custom Product in the Database