This topic is bit off track form the main subject area, but has its own importance specially if you are working as Consultant and also if you are responsible for letting customer know about its benefits.
A fortnight ago, I was reading a intresting post made by Kas Thomas in his blog for Oracle's plan for saving money and then topic just pop-up and thoughts to share how this benifits to existing EBS Customer.
"We have focused on lowering the total cost of ownership of our software products by improving integration, decreasing installation times, lowering administration costs and improving the ease of use. Reducing the total cost of ownership of our products provides our customers with a higher return on their investment, which we believe will create more demand and provide us with a competitive advantage." [This was claimed itself by Oracle in there last quarterly report page 23 of last paragraph under New Software Licenses ]
"Cost of support" aka "Cost of ownership" are quite significant for SME's where cost is the major factor. As more and More companies are opting for Release 12 upgrade and Fusion path therefore revisiting the topic makes lot of sense.
What is meant by Support Cost :
With Oracle Support, you know 'up front' and with certainty how long your Oracle products are supported.
Oracle's Plan for Saving your Money
The new Lifetime Support Policy provides access to technical experts for as long as you license your Oracle products and consists of three support components:
- Premier Support
- Extended Support
- Sustaining Support
Lets take a quick look, how these differ among each other:
- Premier Support :Provides maintenance and support of Oracle database, middleware, and application products for 5 years from their general availability date, which Includes:
- Major product and technology releases which covers technical Support as well as updates, fixes, and security alerts,Tax, legal and regulatory updates
- Oracle also provide upgrade Scripts
- You can also get certification with new third party products/versions
- Where as Extended Support, is offered on specific defined releases, which includes most features of Premier Support for an additional 3 years from general availability which includes
- Major product and technology
- Technical Support
- Updates, fixes, and security alerts
- Tax, legal and regulatory updates
- Upgrade scripts
- The items which does not included under this schema is certification with new third party products/versions.
- Where as Sustaining Support provides technical support– i.e., access to our online and call-center support which is surly metalink—for as long as you license your Oracle solutions. These Includes
- Major product and technology releases
- Technical Support
- Access to MetaLink/Customer Connection
- Pre-existing fixes for your solution
- Customers may also obtain customer specific fixes at an additional fee
- Things which is excluded are :
- New updates, fixes, and security alerts
- New tax, legal, and regulatory updates
- Certification with new third party products/versions
- Certification with other Oracle products
A comparative study between these three can be best understood as:
When it get started
Since September 19, 2005.
Lifetime Support Policy & Coverage for Oracle Applications Products Versions
Here is the list[adopted] for coverage details for Oracle Application products.
In the above list you can see the key-code color shading of the rows as:
Pink = Support does not follow the Lifetime Support Policy
Light Grey = Release will have a direct upgrade to Oracle Fusion Applications
White = Follows the Lifetime Support Policy
where as Latest release 12 is have details as:
Indeed there was relief for existing customer annoucment made during keynote at the COLLABORATE conference 2008 by Oracle President for extending Premier Support for the Oracle(R) E-Business Suite Release 11.5.10 through November 2010. This makes a great hope for OracleApps customers to get opportunity to plan more effectively for the Release 12 upgrade.
Oracle does have a seperate sheet for mentioning the details for Oracle application.
Extend Premier Support until 2012 with no additional fees
These are some of the high Points for Extending Premier Support untill 2012.
- Premier support ended for release 11.0.3 in February 2007 and Sustaining support ends in January 2009.
- Sustaining support ends for releases 11i 1 through 11i 6 in July of 2007. Companies who have not upgraded by then will need to re-license the software to gain access to new releases!
- Premier support ends for release 11i 7 in May of 2007
- Premier support ends for release 11i 8 in November of 2007!
- Premier support ends for release 11i 9 in June of 2008.
- Upgrading to release 11i 10 provides premier support through 2009, and it can be extended for an additional fee.
- Upgrading to release 12 gives you time to determine your own migration schedule.
- New Support Changes for Apps 11.5.9 and 11.5.10 SChan Blog
- Clearing Away The Smoke , Oct 2007 blog Post by Floyd Teter
- Our Iceberg Is Melting ,Nov 2007 blog post by Floyd Teter