Security by Book is the model that allows organization security in Fixed Asset module.
The set up restricts users access and view to their organization. This is achieved by attaching fixed asset related security profile to their responsibilities.
To understand the asset books security , lets understand this way. There is one BU ABC as shown in figure below.
Now , within the ABC Business Group, we are going to have two operating units with each having its own asset book, the security by book concept will ensure that users are only able to view and update assets within their organization. If there is only one user at X to perform Fixed Asset accounting, he/she will be able to switch responsibilities to access each asset book (X and Y).
All operating units will be set up as Asset Organizations and attached to the Asset hierarchy defined for each business group.
5 Easy steps to make Secured by "Security by Book"
The reason for security important because of these reasons:
- Normally person who runs Mass Copy must have visibility to Corporate and Tax Books
- Many time it is observed that restriction at users level cannot update data
In EBS there are 5 simple steps that makes asset book secured:
Step 1. Define Organization
- This can be done by an existing or new organization
- The most important things is that that organization must be define as an asset organization in main setup screen.
- Then , you need to Assign depreciation books to the organizations
- Please take a note depreciation books can only be assigned to one organization
Step 2. Define Hierarchy
Then the next is to define Hierarchy. Lets say my tax Books Organization is subsidiary of the Corporate Book Organization, then accordingly we can do setup for Hierarchy also.
Step 3. Define Security Profile
This is used to determine the top organization in the hierarchy that can be viewed by a responsibility.
Step 4. Run Security List Maintenance
This is one of the step where seeded program need to run. The Security List Maintenance process can be run under HR responsibility
Step 5. Set Profile Option
The last step is to setup the FA: Security Profile at the responsibility level