- OracleApps Epicenter - http://www.oracleappshub.com -
A Newbie’s Guide to E-Business Suite Integration (by Custom Code using API’S!”)
Posted By Sanjit Anand On September 8, 2008 @ 9:34 am In API Integration | 5 Comments
How can we Integrate OracleApps with Custom code by using public API's? What skill is required for E-Business Suite Integration with API's?
These are the question asked by someone who never exposed to OracleApps development environment.
This was topic I discussed with client IT department folks which includes people who recently inducted in Oracle Group from other technology area, college pass outs and other group like Middleware who are also responsible to putting some nut and bolts in Oracle.Thoughts to convert this in post for newbie and Inhouse IT folks who always struggling for right information for the API Integration.So here to go:
Important Points for those working first time with API's
How Oracle API's looks like:
How Oracle API’s follow standard conventions
ALL public package that expose API’s are named as and follow this convention:
Understanding API's structure
Lets understand a simple API , and see what attribute are important from developer prospective.
For more details about API's type, you can check out this post.
Here is some important details you can see :
since this is part of AR_INVOICE_API_PUB therefore this is called as AR_INVOICE_API_PUB.CREATE_SINGLE_INVOICE
How to start with API Integration
If you are working first time with API integration with Oracle Apps, you should follow these steps.
- Identify API availability, for this you can check in metalink  or irep .
- Once you got information about API's , must cross check API's is available for PUBLIC usage or not.
- Map API input input parameter with user data.
- Design and develop a code.
- First thing you have to do is, you need to initialize Applications Information such as user_id,responsiblity_id and application_id if you are in R11i. For R12,there is slightly change in APPS initialization .
- Define and drive the cursor to pull the user data.
- Call the API's
- Try to Print return status and error message for user.
- Put exception handling section to handle any exception raised during processing
Important Tips and Technique when you are using API’s
Article printed from OracleApps Epicenter: http://www.oracleappshub.com
URL to article: http://www.oracleappshub.com/api/a-newbie%e2%80%99s-guide-to-e-business-suite-integration-by-custom-code-using-apis%e2%80%9d/
URLs in this post:
 metalink: http://metalink.oracle.com
 irep: http://irep.oracle.com
 APPS initialization: http://www.oracleappshub.com/ebs-suite/the-world-of-oracle-api/
 API’s or Open Interface: http://www.oracleappshub.com/api/apis-or-open-interface/
 E-Business Suite Integration Repository: http://www.oracleappshub.com/misc/e-business-suite-integration-repository/
Disclaimer The opinions expressed here represent solely my own represent personal conjecture based upon experience, practice and observation and does not represent the thoughts, intentions, plans or strategies of my current & previous employers and their clients. Copyright © 2007-2010 OracleApps Epicenter. All rights reserved.