|Have you tried OracleappsHub in ipad/iphone/smart Phone? Don't wait. try it today|
Many of EBS users take advantage of the ‘File-Export’ functionality. This functionality was specifically designed for use on ‘Folder’ forms so users could export the data displayed on the screen to Excel.
This is one of the option that allows users to export information from a row based data set into a desktop file so that they can utilize these data's sheet for there own reference or any other reporting or feeding purpose .
This is yet another story of some basis functionality differences in two ERP Products(Oracle EBS and SAP), Here are some sets of of Q & A with core user discussion.
- Can the system export all data from all modules to external applications?
- Oracle: In Oracle you can export all the data directly from form, where as you can't export all report data into Excel.
- SAP : The SAP situation is opposite, that mean you a need interface for exporting data from modules where as for reports you can can be downloaded in Excel.
- Is the export tool easy to use? What user skill-set is required?
- Oracle :In oracle you do it From the menu it is FILE/EXPORT
- SAP :Yes, the method for exporting reports is via menu paths from within the report overview. This method is common throughout SAP. An understanding of Microsoft products is required.
- Can exports be set with run-time parameters?
- Oracle:Yes but only limited for Forms
- SAP : , answer is Yes,ie exports can be defined to run at specific times, this would run the appropriate report in SAP and download to the necessary network location or printer.
- Export Functionality from Custom Form?
- Oracle:If your form is based out of Template.fmb, you can get use of Export Functionality.
- SAP : Not sure about this
- Integration with Other Non Oracle and Oracle system like Hyperion , Third Party Tax or Other Product for Forecasting and Budgeting?
- Oracle:Depends , what format is used by these application. As per industry practice .csv format is standard , there fore all Exported can be saved into .CSV that will be easily recognize by other application.
Exporting Apps Reports Into Excel sheet
There is no such seeded functionality that you can get from EBS for exporting into Excel.
There are several options available which depends upon the usage and volume of data into Report.
- You cannot directly see the output in Excel from view -> Request -> output.
You need to make changes to report so that the output is saved as delimited text file and then open with excel with the delimiter. This way at least some data get into excel, easy but ugly format, if have header and report title details.
Use Oracle XML Publisher.
It should give you an option for output in Excel files.But make sure, if you are pulling Financial data, you must tell financial and Controllers that there are certain limitation for:
Number of rows generated exceeds the Excel maximum
Use of formulae or macros can't done in the Excel output
They can't get Pivot sort of report into Excel based XMLPub.
Amount alignment because of numeric value ( Seems this should be fixed by assuming string value)
Data loading and formatting into excel . as whenever you have lot of rows then it will take some more time to dump into Excel , because of XHTML with the mime type set to get Excel to open it.
3.) Seeded Functionality of Excel Output
- Login to apps, using "System Administrator" responsibility
- Navigate to Install -> Viewer Options
- Add the entries as below
File Format=Text Mime Type=application/vnd.ms-excel Description=Microsoft Excel
File Format=Text Mime Type=application/vnd.ms-word Description=Microsoft Word
- Save the changes
- Bounce Apache (Not sure if it works without bouncing Apache)
- View the concurrent requests log (view log button)
- Goto Tools -> Copy File. It will open a new window viewer option with the choices to select the Viewer to open the logfile. Select Microsoft Excel here and press ok.
4) Use concurrent program output format as XML. Change the output format to EXCEL in this path
Submit Request--> Options-->Layout-->Format.
Additional Issue which user might encounter
- User can't get Save Prompt
Check the version of the IE in desktop and do these additional Internet Explorer settings.
Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level>Downloads
Automatic prompting for file downloads needs set to Enable
Another issue File-Export does not work in some pc's many times. Not sure, what is Oracle Solutions. I had a trick , whenever such issue I told me user to Press CTRL key and then do the file export. This works...
Any thoughts :)
Disclaimer : SAP Functionality which is discussed is based out of Personal observation and discussion with SAP user, which they are using bit older version.Any Conflicts with SAP functionlity must be validated. Oracle Version which is used for reference is 184.108.40.206/R12.