What is Digital asset management (DAM)
From Wikipedia ...A digital asset is any form of content and/or media that have been formatted into a binary source which include the right to use it. A digital file without the right to use it is not an asset.
Digital assets are categorised in three major groups which may be defined as textual content (digital assets), images (media assets) and multimedia (media assets)
Not to forgot, DAM as Digital Asset = Digital Content + Usage Rights
That means means, Digital asset management (DAM) is a business process or a software tool for organizing the creation, management, distribution and archiving of a rich media asset. Rich media assets include photos, music, videos, animations, podcasts and other multimedia content.Look the DAM in another Way.
- Images, Videos, Documents
- Dependencies, Renditions
- Marketing, IT, Editorial, other Departments/Divisions
- Agencies, Partners, Vendors, Customers
- Workflows (Request,Review/Approve, Assigned Tasks)
- Search: Keywords, Metadata, Faceted
Typical Activities in DAM
Consider these kind of question
- As a marketing Manager I need to find an approved product image to create a new ad campaign…
- As a PR team for the company e-com Site I need to prepare the upcoming summer catalog
- As a content manager I need to manage the “official” repository of “approved” product images…
if you are able to answer above requset then you can easily figure out , what activity is needed for DAM solution.So below is list for Typical activity required in DAM.
- Ingest/bulk load source assets
- Classify & describe assets (cataloging & metadata)
- Ingestion services (rights, policies, renditions)
- Collect / Create / Assemble
- Produce / Review & Approve
- Publish / Notify
- Present the content in the different channels
Oracle Digital asset management
Oracle Digital Asset Management enables organizations to quickly and easily access, manage, share, optimize and re-use corporate digital assets, such as training videos, conference call recordings, movie trailers, commercials, depositions and corporate branding graphics and images.
This is built upon the core Oracle server foundation, providing additional functionality specific to image transformations, formatting and compression, enhanced audio and video streaming, and automatic thumbnail generation.
The Oracle Digital Asset Management bundle includes the following products.
- Digital Asset Manager - Image Manager: Digital Asset Manager adds the ability to create multiple renditions (conversions) for each image. Users can easily access the appropriate size and format for PPT, the Web, or other collateral. Supports input formats such as JPG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, PSD, and BMP; as well as output formats such as JPG, GIF, PNG, and PSD. Image metadata is extracted and associated with the content item as object metadata.
- Digital Asset Manager - Video Manager: Digital Asset Manager adds the ability to create multiple stream able proxies for each video. Users can easily access the appropriate format and size for their client, network, and viewing needs. Output formats include Real, Windows Media Format, QuickTime, and others. Thumbnails are extracted and presented as a drill down storyboard; closed caption text is extracted and included in the Oracle search index.
- PDF Converter: This enables the automatic publishing of native business content to web viewable PDF. Upon check-in of new business content, a PDF rendition of the native format is generated. This PDF rendition allows web viewing of that business content without the need for the native application.
- TIFF Converter: Tiff Converter automatically converts TIFF images to PDF format upon check-in to the Content Server for easy viewing of legacy content. The conversion of the released TIFF image can occur on the client side or server side and uses the Adobe Acrobat Capture technology. With TIFF Conversion, users can easily view and access managed legacy content (scanned documents) via a browser with the Adobe Reader. Additionally, during the TIFF to PDF conversion, Optical Character Recognition (OCR) is performed - enabling users to perform full-text searches of managed TIFF files in the Content Server.
- XML Converter: Oracle XML Converter enables the automatic publishing of native business content to XML format. Upon check-in of new business content, conversion to a XML DTD or user defined DTD, can be configured to occur. This XML file can then be accessed from other Enterprise Applications, as well as dynamically rendered to HTML using the Dynamic Converter.
How it Works
When digital assets such as images and videos are ingested into the Oracle system, a number of additional renditions of varying file formats, resolutions, sizes, etc. are automatically generated allowing users to download and use images without reformatting or requiring the use of native applications such as Photoshop for resizing and perhaps impacting your brand.
The original (native) file is available as well as other additional renditions that were auto-generated into jpg and png formats with varying properties such as size, resolution, color, etc. The number and properties of each rendition are completely configurable. Users can add the graphics they need to utilize and download .
When videos are ingested, renditions along with storyboards are auto-generated .
Catering both all set of Business user
For the business user
Once content is created, the Oracle Digital Asset Management system gives the user multiple options for checking the file into the repository.
All check-in methods (browser-based, WebDAV, integrations with desktop applications, etc.) can automate processes - such as file transformations, multiple renditions of a file being generated, approval requirements, thumbnail generations, etc. - that used to be completed manually.
Oracle Image Converter can quickly reformat an image to the appropriate size, shape, resolution or aspect ratio, alleviating the need to maintain heavy, expensive publishing tools on desktops.
For the IT administrator
Oracle Digital Asset Management provides Web-based administrative functions and a flexible architectural framework to meet the needs of your organization with one solution.
Web-based administrative functions include the ability to easily stop and start servers, edit security permissions, customize metadata, create workflows and view server logs, regardless of your location.
The Oracle solution is Java-based, easily customizable, rapidly deployable, enterprise scalable and can integrate with other processes and applications, such as portals, CRM and ERP systems.
In Summary, take away
Oracle Digital Asset Management automates routine tasks and provides robust functionality to effectively manage your rich media files.
- Easily view and reuse digital assets: This is done via storyboard tree allows immediate viewing of specific video scenes.
- Create thumbnails automatically to easily search and retrieve files: Increase efficiency by allowing end users to find information quickly via searching for both text and utilizing visual recognition.
- Save storage space and decrease bandwidth usage by compressing files: Save time by significantly compressing large files and utilizing bandwidth more efficiently.
- Convert legacy images to Web-friendly formats: View older files without needing older desktop applications.
- Reduce manual steps in creating multiple renditions: Automatically create multiple formats of a corporate image or video and create additional formats on the fly.
- Control access to corporate brand assets: Easily control security permissions surrounding access to brand assets. Manage only one copy of corporate assets.
- Make corporate audio and video sessions available via the Web: Enable quick and easy browser-based access to presentations, recording presentations, e-learning files, documents, etc.